Consolidated Notice to the Profession and Public Regarding the Small Claims Court
March 16, 2020
Notice of amendments:
Effective November 30, 2020:
The Court is expanding the range of matters it will hear remotely. In addition to the requests it was accepting before, it will now accept requests for:
- Motions in writing that are without notice to any other party, whether the motion is new or previously filed; and
- Settlement conferences, if all defendants had filed a defence or been noted in default prior to August 31, 2020. A settlement conference does not need to have been previously scheduled.
The Court is using different request forms for motions in writing and requests to clerk. (Previously, the same form was used for both documents.)
Effective October 28, 2020:
The Court is accepting requests for the following types of matters:
- Motions to set aside a noting in default or a default judgment.
- Assessment hearings where a request to clerk was filed prior to March 16, 2020.
- Motions in writing where the motion was filed prior to March 16, 2020 for:
- An assessment of damages; and
- Any other relief sought which does not require notice to other parties.
- Further instructions on email filings are provided.
Effective October 9, 2020:
The Court is lifting the date range limiting the previously scheduled settlement conferences it will hear remotely at the request of one party. See part II of the
“Settlement Conferences” section for a full list of criteria.
There is information about the re-opening of Small Claims Court counter service. See the “Reopening of Counter Service in Small Claims Court” section.